July 21, 2007

Can non-U.S. citizens get Medicare?

Q: Can non-U.S. citizens get Medicare?

A: Most people age 65 or older who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States are eligible for free Medicare Part A hospital insurance. And anyone who is eligible for Part A coverage can also enroll in Medicare Part B medical insurance coverage by paying a monthly premium.

Those over 65 who are not eligible for Medicare Part A can still buy the Part B medical insurance if they are United States citizens or lawfully admitted noncitizens who have lived in the United States for at least five years.

Illegal immigrants can't get Medicare.

To learn more about Medicare eligibility, call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 or visit www.ssa.gov.

No comments:

Should the Texas State Legislature pass immigration enforcement laws in 2009?