With Mexican drug cartels in Juarez reportedly giving their hit men permission to pursue targets in the U.S., we ask the question who is safe and who is most at risk?
The power of the Mexican drug cartels so far has seemed endless. With more than 800 executions this year alone, hundreds of kidnappings and a city gripped by fear, the cartels has been able to act with impunity.
Now, with information that the cartels have given their hit men permission to pursue targets here in the U.S., that fear may be spreading.
Monday, Mayor John Cook interviewed live on Newschannel 9 at 6:00 to discuss this new information.
Newschannel 9 has confirmed that the intel first came from Immigration and Customs Enforcement who then shared it with the El Paso Police Department and the El Paso County Sheriff's Department.
Beyond that, ICE wouldn't discuss the information further. Neither would any other law enforcement agencies. Still, Mayor Cook says the intel indicates that Mexican nationals may be the targets.
"Mexican nationals that have taken refuge in the United States may be the target of kidnappings and or assassination attempts." says Mayor Cook.
Immigration attorney Carlos Spector says that a number of his clients are police officers from Juarez who have come here to gain asylum. All along, their fear was that might be followed to the U.S.
"That's why most of them have refused to speak to the press cause they want to keep their claims silent, discreet, secret and out of the public eye so they, in fact, won't be pursued."